Dennis,

Thanks for the thoughtful and caring post.

When I was in the hospital several weeks ago I met a woman about my age
who had had PD for 20 years.  I wanted to talk with her about how PD had
affected the relationship between my wife and myself and understand how
she and her husband had coped.  I tried to lead into the discussion with
"Y' know-  sometimes I think PD is harder on our spouses than even the
PWP" (Which I firmly believe) She replied that she had never thought
about it and then related a story about his insensitivity prior to her
developing PD. Yet with minimal communication they survived together 25
years.  I guess some people can do it without communication.  I don't
know how they manage it but I suspect that it involves substantially
lowered expectations from the relationship.

For me it is crucial to keep lines of communication open and allow
ourselves to discuss and sometimes argue about feelings we would rather
not talk about.  Most of us PWP expect our caregivers to feel sympathy
for the discomfort and difficulty we experience but it is  important for
we PWP to to put ourselves  in our caregivers shoes. How are they
responding to the constantly changing and increasing needs we have?  How
have the roles we play in the relationship evolved and how do each of us
adapt to them?  For instance since I have surrendered much of my "manly"
driving duties for the most part to my wife I have become an
insufferable back seat driver.  She had never enjoyed driving and in
fact was somewhat phobic about it. Nonetheless she had only had 1
accident in the 27 years we have been married.  When she shows the
slightest bit of hesitation I am there to "help" which is a "fine
confidence- builder" for someone not  not entirely sure of her driving.
Neither of us asked for this change but we both have to deal with it.

  In addition she is physically short and the household chores that I
used to do largely fall to her.  Also, she needs to do things for me.

It is a much bigger deal to go out somewhere together.  Because she
cares and worries about me she always feels "on call" for me and like a
tired physician who has been on call for an extended period, often
resents it and gets short when I make a simple, non-urgent request or
statement.

I hope that we PWP on the list can exchange ways that we care for our
caregiver/partners and increase our awareness of their needs as Dennis
has done.

When I was in active practice I would often advise caregivers to take
time for themselves.  Often they would respond that they felt guilty
about leaving their "patient".  I would explain to them that they would
be a better caregiver if they took time to recharge.  They would be less
irritable and then do a better job.

What about the "non-couple" part of our partners lives?  How does our PD
interfere with that?  We as PWP need to pay every bit as much attention
to the needs of our caregivers as they do to us.  Dennis addresses the
problem that I mentioned in a previous post giving a good solution.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI