Kathie Tollifson wrote:

> I have a friend from my Young-Onset group that has been in a serious crisis
> for a week, and I don't have a solution. Maybe some of you veterans can
> shine some light?
>
> Ron is about 55, taking anti-parkinsonian drugs for 5 years or so. He is
> prescribed (4) 25/100 sinemet CR, (4) 2.5 permax, (2) 5  mg eldepryl, plus
> an antidepressant called Olanzepine ( I think) that he takes at night before
> bed. For some reason his second dose of eldepryl is prescribed specifically
> to be taken at bedtime also.
>
> He has always seemed a little less in touch than the rest of us in the YO
> group, but lately he is much more confused, so we started visiting him
> occasionally to see if he was OK, he lives alone. Last week one of the men
> from the group called me in great alarm, said Ron had taken all 4 of his
> sinemt at once, and was confused and hallucinating. Over the next few days
> it became apparent that he was hallucinating all the time, whether he took
> his pills or not, and that he was so confused that he was usually not even
> remembering  his meds. Last Wed he went to Burger King, and I'm not sure
> what all happened, but 3 hours later the fire dept brought him home. That
> night I took him to the emergency room, mainly because I couldn't leave him
> alone in the state he was in, and I had no solutions. They kept him 5 days,
> the last 3 in the psychiactric ward, and the psychiatrist told me he had
> diagnosed Ron as psychotic.
>
> Monday they tossed him out on the streets with no change in meds, and three
> days of Home Health visits arranged, and a caution to me from 3 different
> doctors to not let him drive. Here we are now, with little improvement, Ron
> can not figure out his meds, he freezes for long periods, and is still
> extremely confused.
>
> I don't know what to do. He is not safe alone, but  wishes to remain
> independent. Apparently he has the resources to afford some domestic
> assistance, such as a part time companion, and I am willing to help with his
> meds, but I wonder if this isn't just putting off the inevitable, and also
> exposing him to great danger. I frankly don't think his hallucinations are
> tied to the sinemet because he has them even when he is very off. But I'm no
> expert on PD-related hallucinations and psychosis.
>
> HELP!!
>
> Kathie Tollifson
> 47/9

HI KATHIE,

My neurologist in my home town(who I see on a yearly basis for a
second opinion) increased my sinemet which stopped my freezing and
equilibrium problems. (56/19 YRS) I Only take 5 mg of  eldypryl (which
both of my neurologists feel is all that is necessary)and I have
always been told not to take it later than lunch time. Best of luck
to your friend!  best of luck to you with miraplex!
Carol Gray