Barbara Smith...

Your commentary pin-pointed why I was so eager to have the collagen injections
into my vocal cords, Barb.  It's awful thinking... KNOWING no one's hearing ya
and that you've become kinda 'invisible-in-plain-sight.

I was SOOO frustrated by people repeating "What? WHAT? I can't  HEAR you" at
me whenever I was speaking!  And I noticed after a while friends would start
to second-guess what I was saying (and they were often wrong!) just because
they were too impatient to even let me get to the end of a sentance. - that
they couldn't hear anyway.

Prior to my Oct. ' 94 unilateral pallidotomy, my voice was normal... strong,
but my face was immobile.  After the pallidotomy, my face became very
expressive,  and within a few months my VOICE started fading!  And
fading...... and faaaaaaaading (deep sigh).

I found I was straining to speak louder, but couldnt't tell if I was actually
doing so because at no time did my voice ever sound "faded" to ME - even when
it was at it's worst.  Even THEN - to me - my voice sounded "normal," tho
obviously it wasn't to others.

I also noticed that several months after my voice became faint, that I began
to have a kind of "stutter."  And many of our List-family will know what I'm
referring to as we've discussed this very thing here amongst ourselves
recently.

WIth the return of my "normal" speaking voice, I've noticed that no one ever
says "WHAT? I can't HEAR you" at me any longer (YEA!)   And lately I've also
noticed the stutter has began to disappear! (MAJOR "YEA!!!") <smile>

I had to think 'bout that for a while, and finally have concluded that it's
possible many of us Parkies actually are suttering in frustration in an effort
to be HEARD!  We MAY be trying to get all the words out as fast as we can.. to
get what we want to communicate SAID.... before people start losing interest
in a voice - and a PERSON - whom they can't hear.  Hence that "PD stutter..."
(and maybe not?  The jury's sitll out on this one..)

The initial injections usually last from 3 to 5 months before the body absorbs
the collagen, then they're neede to be repeated.  Thereafter the injections
are needed about once every 10 or 12 months.   I had the initial injectoins
done two and 1/2 months ago and my "normal voice" is still going strong.... so
far.   But when folks start saying "What" at me again, I'm sure not going to
have the frustration and inner pain of not being heard again!   Not when
"normal" is just a painless, five minute procedure away!

Barb Mallut