        I know that this is the reason why Dad is travelling 6,000 miles (from Ohio
to Los Angeles and back) just to get the collagen injections. I think my
brother-in-law said it best: "Dad can't enjoy conversation", meaning that he
can't fully participate in spoken conversation.  Sometimes people feel that
just because the person can't talk, they can't understand what others are
saying to them or what's going on around them. I have to explain this almost
constantly to others in our school about one of my students (his cerebral
palsy affects everything, including the ability to get the air through his
mouth and nose at the right time so he can speak, and also the ability to
place his tongue). People are really surprised when I tell them that this boy
is of at least average (or above) intelligence. They ask me how I can tell,
and I say that the way we communicate with him is by asking him questions and
having him look at certain places in the room for his answer (i.e. "If your
answer is 'red', look at the door; if it's green, look at the window").
 Sometimes he even teases us by purposely giving a wrong answer (he smiles
very slightly before looking at the wrong answer!). So there are also other
ways to communicate when the voice isn't up to par!