Bent Willow wrote:

> > I don't know what to do. He is not safe alone, but  wishes to remain
> > independent. Apparently he has the resources to afford some domestic
> > assistance, such as a part time companion, and I am willing to help with
> his
> > meds, but I wonder if this isn't just putting off the inevitable, and
> also
> > exposing him to great danger. I frankly don't think his hallucinations
> are
> > tied to the sinemet because he has them even when he is very off. But I'm
> no
> > expert on PD-related hallucinations and psychosis.
>  > Kathie Tollifson
> >
> If you have spoken with your friend's  psychiatrist before, you may be able
> to approach him concerning the need for your friend to have home health
> care -  at least a visiting nurse to over-see his case management.  The
> medical community has a responsibility to get involved in your friend's
> case until there is some stabilization in his condition.  I'm wondering how
> familiar the attending psychiatrist is with PD and the side-effects of the
> meds.  I also wondering *why* the neurologist would have prescribed
> Eldepryl  late in the day - or was the the error of the pharmacist?
> ------
> Mary Ann

TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES:  The most likely sceenario here is that the
Eldepryl was prescribed B.I.D. (twice a day) and the patient was never
told to take it in the morning and at noon. Unfortunately this type of
thing still happens despite the best efforts of Medicine & Pharmacy to
prevent it. It is estimated in some studies that 25% of all hospital
admissions are due to a direct (or indirect) drug reaction. I'm not
saying that this is what happened here, but it is possible. It appears
to me that there is a psychiatric problem present, that is not due to PD
or or PD drugs, however that is also possible. I think he should have a
thorough Psych evaluation in an inpatient setting. Sometimes insurance
limitations cut this evaluation shorter than it should be, and this may
be why he was discharged after only a short stay. I would suggest that
the local Behavior Health Organization be contacted for advice and
possible evaluation.                   Jerry Starr,  RPh.