To All List Members:
We were reminded the other day that there are those in Congress who
abhor earmarking and for that reason would not support the Udall bill.
  We were reminded that Senators Bill Frist (R-TN), James Jeffords (R-
VT), and Dan Coats (R-IN) "want to minimize Congressional
micromanagement of NIHs research directions and in wanting to avoid
excessive earmarking of research funds."  Senator Coats complained
that by adopting a "disease of the month" mentality, Congress was
making decisions for NIH based on personal, emotional and political
reasons rather than scientific reasons."

Senator Jon Kyl, (R-AZ) has written, "Congress has traditionally
appropriated an overall amount of funding for research and then
deferred to the expertise of the scientists at NIH, who are best able
to make decisions---based on science and not politics---."

Senator John Ashcroft, (R-MO) has written, "I believe that it is wise
for Congress to give deference to the NIH in the determination of
what the nation's research funding priorities should be."

You may want to reread the speech delivered by President Clinton on
the occasion of his announcement of the $2 billion earmarked diabetes
package which was posted this AM by Margaret Tuchman, and note his
references to the personal and emotional influences that led him to
support the bill, and then note that Senators Frist, Jeffords, Coats,
Kyl and Ashcroft voted for the diabetes legislation despite their
dislike of earmarking.  (This legislation is of major importance and
certainly worthwhile.)  One year's funding of the Udall bill is 5% of
the amount designated for this legislation.

Don't you think that this should provide the impetus for writing and
phoning these legislators to ask that they reconsider their position
on the Udall bill?