Jackie, have you ever picked up a phone and called someone, and you hear
them, but they cannot hear you? My (non-expert) opinion, is that the PD
causes a breakdown in communications, so the PWP can hear you,  but  cannot
get the speech coordinated to form words to answer you. Before my dad got to
the stage he is in now, he would often start to say something and get all
upset, because he could not find the proper words fast enough to give an
intelligent answer. The interesting part, is when he is very upset, he
communicates pretty good now and will shout for my mother to tell her what is
wrong.
Another possibility, is your dad is depressed, and just does not feel like
talking. In either case, it is probably as hard for him as it is for your
mother. Ken B.