On 08/10/97 Jerry Starr wrote:

>Little is known about taking Fosamax with other drugs.
>Because food reduces the absorption so much it is recommended that
>fosamax not be taken with food, or other drugs as a precautionary
>measure. My personal opinion is that the sustained release form of
>Sinamet is OK to take. The immediate release form is anybodys guess.
>I'll try to find out more.                       Jerry Starr  RPh.

Dear Jerry:

Thanks for your advice about taking Fosamax with other PD medications. As
you said, there isn't much information about taking other drugs with
Fosamax. There is a lot of information about the need to remain
upright and to let plenty of time elapse between taking it and adding food
or juice. The orthopedist isn't an expert on PD, the neuro isn't an expert
on orthopedics, and the family practice MD says to ask the neuro. My money
is on you, the RPh.

Some days Neal's medications work as they should, but at other times they
seem to have gotten lost somewhere between mouth and the intestinal villi.
If there is a chance that taking his AM Sinemet and Permax a mere half hour
after Fosamax is a contributor to this uncertain response, we will have to
work out a better schedule.

So many factors contribute to the responses PWPs get from their
medications.These include the timing of meals with meds, the amount of fat
and protein in the meals, the shape and pH of the stomach, other medications
for non-PD conditions, stress, grapefruit juice, high tyramine foods, and on
and on. Its a real challenge.

We do appreciate your contributions to the list very much.

Martha Rohrer