Hi all,

I am new to the list.  I am a daughter of a father who is in the
secondary stages of Parkinsons.  My father is 81 years old.  He was
officially diagnosed with Parkinsons about 6 years ago.  So far
medication seemed to have worked well until recently.  Five months ago he
went in for Knee replacement surgery.  That was a success, but 5 days
later they noticed a heart problem and he was rushed back for a quadurple
bi-pass.  That was a success.  A few days later he was having pains and
he was rushed back in for bowel problems and they had to do an
Illeostomy.  After the 3rd surgery he really seemed to go downhill and
his Parkinsons seemed worse, mostly his "swallowing."   He continued to
lose alot of weight from choking on food and was finally put on a feeding
tube.  Then his kidneys started to fail and those were revived, but the
salivary glands in his mouth dried up and an infection occurred.  He had
to have dead tissue removed in the roof of his mouth.  He is still on the
feeding tube and they do periodic swallowing tests on him, but he still
has some choking.

What are his chances of getting off the feeding tube and eating by mouth
again?

Cindy Olson
Southern Methodist University