In re to riding for balance.

Dear Don,

I trained and showed horses in jumping and dressage competition for years
before being diagnosed with pd.  I believe it helped keep the diagnosis at
bay for a while because I was in very good physical condition and had
extremely good balance.
Although I sold my horses a few years ago it was because I had decided to go
to graduate school and couldn't devote the time both required.  This was 2
years before I was diagnosed with pd.
I am planning on purchasing another horse within the next year and am very
excited about it, plus I definitely need the exercise.  However, I won't be
able to jump anymore and will limit my showing to local dressage shows
--mainly because of the stress I place on myself when showing.  For the main
part I am just going to ride for relaxation and "emotional therapy" --because
it is the thing I love most.

My neurologist is encouraging me do do this, but only for several reasons:
       1.  He stressed that I shouldn't attempt jumping anymore.
       2.  He is aware that I have ridden all my life and therefore will be
cautious
            and not take unnecessary risks.
       3.  I have had problems with depression and the fact that I no longer
had my
            horses has been harder on me than anything.  I just miss that
life so much.
            He thinks it would be really good for me along those lines.
 (My neuro. also told me he would not recommend this to any of his other
patients.)

I should add that I have had almost no balance problems at all.  I don't
think this was because of the riding---I think pd just hasn't affected me
that way......yet.
I did have very good balance riding, but had worked on it forever.  I'm sure
it will not be as good or as precise when I start riding again, and I don't
expect it will ever be as good as it was.

If you don't have bad balance problems and you know someone who has a very
low-key "easy riding" horse it might very well help.  The main thing you
should do is always have someone experienced with horses to be there with you
when you ride.  And, of course, Always wear a helmet!

Good luck!
Rosemary Russell   49, 3
Arkansas