Hello Fellow Advocates,

I would like to suggest that each of us, our family, friends, support
groups, write
to these two offices urging immediate action to follow suit of the diabetes
funding:

Additionally, this is an excellent topic to discuss with our Representative
and Senators: 1/ if they are cosponsors of the Udall bill, ask their opinion
on how we can use the successful funding of one disease to apply to PD, and
2/ if they have not yet cosigned, check out the arguments Bob Dolezal
makes in his letter(see below), paraphrase and present them.

Bob Dolezal's letter sent to the Legislative Health Aides of Sens. McCain and
Wellstone on 8/11/97 supports and encourages the two sponsoring Senators in
their fight to secure funding for the Udall bill. We all need to let them
know that we are actively involved in this struggle. Send your email messages
to:

The President's signing of the "Diabetes Initiatives" seems to afford us a
fresh opportunity to lobby the American people, the Congress, and the
Executive Branch for the Udall bill.

For starters, the diabetes community should be congratulated and commended
for its struggle to achieve this rewarding outcome.  Winning over the
President and the Speaker is no easy task, particularly when the victory
involves "earmarking," as the diabetes success seems to be.

Wouldn't this be an appropriate time for Senator McCain and Senator
Wellstone to announce to the nation their support for the diabetes bill and
their staunch and undying commitment to seeing the Morris K. Udall
Parkinson's Research and Education Act reach the President's desk by
________ , in time for authorization and appropriation by ___________?

The diabetes initiative has been led by some stalwart and committed folks,
including all those cited by the President, so that special attention would
be paid their disease.  And they did so with the dedication of Rep.
Elizabeth Furse, leader of the Bipartisan Congressional Diabetes Caucus,
whose daughter has diabetes.

That is their right, and what they ask is just and right.

So is what Senator Wellstone asks for the disease that caused his parents'
deaths.

So is what Senator McCain asks for the disease responsible for the
prolonged, painful and pitiful ending of his friend, one of the strongest
men ever to walk the halls of Congress.

The  diabetes victory may or may not be pure "earmarking," I don't know
enough of the details to be sure.  But it sure looks like it, it is timely,
it is a lot of money, and it paves the way for causes of like merit - and
ours is.

Regards,

Bob

Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540