My mother (76/6ish) has been troubled with "psychiatric" symptoms for the last 1-1.5 years.
She has been helped immensely by ECT (electro-convulsive therapy, formerly called "shock treatments").

ECT was actually suggested by Mom's neurologist, Raj Pahwa, a colleague of Wm. Koller's at KU.  Since Medicare won't pay for ECT performed for PD but will pay if it's for mental problems, the treatments are done by the psychiatrist who sees Mom in the NH anyway.

Despite the obvious benefits to both medicos, it was not easy to get them talking to each other!  For one thing, the know-it-all-control-freak director of nursing at the NH was aghast.  But NOW they speak on a regular basis, and communicate with the internist who provides Mom's primary care.  TIP:  get to know the nurses in each office, they can be an invaluable help in the communications stream.

Mom had ECT three times weekly for a month in October '96.  She was supposed to have once-a-month maintenance treatments after that.  After some screw-ups, she does.  And they are necessary.

Janet Patterson, thanks SO MUCH for the info on optical problems/hallucinations; I'm forwarding that to Dr. Pahwa's nurse and hoping it will give us some insight into her (so far benign) hallucinations and/or dreams.

If anyone wants details on the ECT, pls ask.

Mary Rack
cg for Mom, Louise (76/6ish)