I wasinterested in Barb M's comments about family members in hospital,
as I have again been "wife at bedside" (their term!) for Peter. I found that
the nurses were accepting, and VERY appreciative of the written info I gave
them about Peter's symptoms and PD in general.  It is a good opening to be
able to say, "I'm sure you know that PD affects everyone a little differently,
so it may be helpful to you to know something about how it affects him..."
I didencounter one nurse who balked at using the meds we brought from home
(as I always do) and the other nurse assured her that the admitting  doc,
our internist, had ALREADY authorized us to use them.  After that, she was
very friendly andcooperative. In fact, all the nurses seemed OK with my
beingthere, and not threatened. (I tried to be on top ofthings but not
"demanding". )  For example, when I remarked that it must be very hard for
them to get meds there right on time, coordinated with meals, etc. (she
having just apologised that the Sinemet was 1 hr. late!) I found that meds
were given in timely fashion thereafter.  Even with the combative episode
P. had one night. the nurses were understanding, and appreciated that I was
able to show up at 9PM and "talk him down" until he slept at 11PM.
I guess what I'm saying is that while is is terribly important for us to
be advocates for our PWPs and present as much as we are able,we can
be seen as adjuncts or partners,and actually make the nurses' load a bit
lighter. We were so pleased with the care P. received,despite the rough
time he gavethem that night, that we sent a thank you card when we got
home. And maybe on the next visit, some of them will remember him---

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"