 I haven't decided how this will be distributed yet but thought I would
share it
 with the list. I intend to get it into as many Texas hands as possible.

 August 12, 1997

 In Search of a Cure - Washington Reflections 1997

 After visiting the Hill nearly a half a dozen times this year in search
of a
 cure for Parkinson's disease, I must say that democracy is the worst
form of
 government on earth, but I don't know of a better one so I take great
pride in
 my efforts to help shape it. Shaping it is certainly more of an art
than a
 science. Although military science may have prepared me for one kind of
battle
 English literature may have prepared me better for the Washington
battle.

 Words like, ear marking, disease du jour, right to life, grass roots,
money,
 advocacy, ethics, morality, cure, chairman, money, committee, money,
hearing, money, compassion, unacceptable, forum, money, gala, money,
contributor, money, cosponsors, authorization, money, direct, money,
indirect, money, research, money, appropriation, money,
hope, money, some how this translate to - Cure Parkinson's Disease with
Money.

 One only has to visit the Hill once to understand that it is the place
where
 the war of words spiced with the power of money and the voice of the
people,
 interpreted to mean voters who vote, CAN get the job done.

 As we near the finish line the race has many sub four minute milers.
sub ten
 second 100 yard dashers, valedictorians, fast ball hurlers, line
backers, and
 more curve balls than any batter has ever faced.  So where are we? What
is the
 name of this game? Who are the best players? Who has the best team.
Will there
 be winners and losers?

 The Udall Bill after years of discussion, debate, grass roots advocacy
and the
 unifying efforts of a Parkinson's Coalition of all the major PD
organizations
 is positioned for victory. We have the needed cosponsors in both houses
. We
 have a majority in virtually all the key committees and we have the
Parkinson's
 community united

 The Republicans have made a weak showing including here in Texas but
those who
 have cosponsored are committed to victory. Senator Mc Cain, Republican
from
 Arizona, and friend of Mo Udall has promised victory. Senator Wellstone
,
 Democrat from Minnesota, with two parents victimized by Parkinson's
says
 victory is close at hand.

 This year our Texas congressmen saw and heard from many Parkinsonians.
Several
 made the very strenuous trip to Washington to voice their support for
the Udall
 bill.  My wife Nancy made two of these trips to tell her story. Now
faced with
 back surgery from the years of fighting dyskinesia she will be
sidelined for a
 few months but our team of Joe, Nina, Cherry, Marlene, Arthur, Candyce,
Fred
 and Barry will no doubt continue their courageous battle.

 We need Congressman Bliley from Virginia and Congressman Bilirakis from
Florida
 to allow the bill to move through the Commerce committee in the House.
We need
 Senators Jeffords-VT, Coates-IN, and Frist-TN, to allow the bill to
move
 through the Labor And Human Resources  committee in the Senate. We must
insist
 that Congressman Armey TX schedule the bill for the House floor.  We
must
 educate many Americans on the merits of fetal tissue research, NOT
ABORTION,
 and the disruptive if not harmful behavior of the Right to Life
Committee
 as they tag Parkinson's research with devious at worst and harmful at
best
 abortion issues. And most of all we need YOU to be Invisible no More.

 We have suffered in silence far too long. The AIDS activists have
succeeded in
 redirecting the National Institute of Health priorities with their
powerful
 call for help. Those who suffer from Diabetes have recently been
successful. It
 is our turn and we should not be timid about it. More effective
treatments are
 certain and a  cure maybe near. You deserve it, its yours if you want
it. Let
 your voice be heard!

 Call your congressman 202-224-3121 and ask him to help you get the
Udall Parkinsons bill
 passed. If you have any questions call Bob Martone at 281-358-5168.

--
Kingwood, TX