Kathie,

Your friend sounds like he is in serious trouble and is lucky to have
friends like you and the rest of your group.

Olanzepine is a new (within the past year) neuroleptic which is not
supposed to block striatal dopamine nearly as much as the "standard"
antipsychotic drugs.  If he were on it prior to the episode you mention
then his neurologist or psychiatrist was likely concerned about his
mental status and was treating him.

Any of the drugs he is taking except the olanzepine can cause psychosis
or confusion-  Unfortunately so can the PD.

If in your opinion he is still confused or psychotic and you feel there
is a good possibility of him not taking his meds properly or remains in
danger talk to the home care person about your fears and observations.
Also call or write the psychiatrist or neurologist.

Clozaril is an alternative to olanzepine if  the later is not working.
Do you know if he was treated for mental illness prior to his PD? It is
a frustrating situation for which you may be able to do nothing that has
a positive effect.

Good luck and let me know what is happening.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI