> I guess what I'm saying is that while is is terribly important for us to
> be advocates for our PWPs and present as much as we are able,we can
> be seen as adjuncts or partners,and actually make the nurses' load a bit
> lighter. We were so pleased with the care P. received,despite the rough
> time he gavethem that night, that we sent a thank you card when we got
> home. And maybe on the next visit, some of them will remember him---
>
> Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio

Thank you, Camilla, for your gentle comments about the nursing staff  who
cared for Peter.  You are correct.  It is so important to have family
members at the bedside when the patient is confused.

Many perfectly normal, coherent, elderly patients develop what our nursing
staff refers to as 'Sundowners' syndrome.  They become confused,
hallucinate, and sometimes become combative - but only at night.  During
the day these same patients are perfectly fine.  A willing family member at
the bedside can help familiarize the patient with his/her environment
making the night-time hours less stressful for the patient, as well as for
the nursing staff.

I love when family members stay with my patients.  It is so much easier to
find the time  to teach the family  about issues that must be addressed
once the patient is discharged.  Also, the relationship we develop with one
another aids in decreasing the trauma of the multiple hospitalization that
frequently are the consequence of chronic disease.

On behalf of nurses everywhere, I would like to say to those loving
families who have helped us countless times through their unselfish vigil
at the bedside - God bless you.
-----
Mary Ann Ryan RN