Barbara M wrote concerning the 3rd World practice of family
involvement in nursing hospitalised patients.  Until 2 weeks
ago I would happily have joined her in praising such a practice.

2 weeks ago I saw, on Australia's excellent SBS channel, a
documentry on the Central Hospital, which is in Conakry, the
capital city of the west african nation of Guinea.  The hospital
was described as being the main medical centre of both the city
and the nation.  Poverty (an average annual income of US$510)
has resulted in a horrifying situation.  Families provide not only the
nursing service but also have to provide the drugs, in the sense
that once the doctors have written the procription, it must be collect
and paid for from the hospital pharmacy by family members who then
hand it over to the medically trained staff to administer.  NO FAMILY
MEMBER TO COLLECT AND PAY FOR THE DRUGS - NO DRUGS
ARE GIVEN.  NO MONEY TO PAY FOR THE DRUGS - NO DRUGS
ARE GIVEN.  If, as apparently often happens, the hospital pharmacy is
unable to fill the perscription, the family member or friend has to try and
get it filled by an external, private pharmacy.  In one instance a man
brought to the ER with menengitis (sp?) died after 8 hrs unattended
other than being diagnosed.  He died because he had no family or
friend to help him and because the ER had only 2 overworked doctors
on duty, no nursing staff, no drugs other than those purchased for other
patients. The ER itself is located in a seperate building to the main
hospital
and is the only part of the complex that a patient can enter without paying
in advance.

The Intensive care unit comprises a ward with beds only. One nurse
attends 8 patients.  The mortality rate is 70%.

What staff the hospital has are well qualified and as dedicated as any -
where else in the world.  They know the limitations of their system and
do what they can to minimise its difficiencies.

None of this invalidates the love and caring of the family members
who, often at great sacrifice to themselves, try to fill the gaps.  But
it is an indictment on us all that their sacrifice is necessary.

I was left with a profound sense of shame.  I live in a country with one
of the finest medical services in the world.  We have an oversupply of
doctors,  free hospitalisation in world class hospitals equiped with every-
thing money can buy and staffed by highly trained professionals.  Yet
we want more.  We complain if we have to wait 30 mins past our
appointment time,  we object at length if we have to wait for surgery,
we protest at delays in getting the latest 'wonder drug'.

WE DON'T KNOW WHEN WE'RE LUCKY

Dennis.

++++++++++++++++++++
Dennis Greene 47/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/
++++++++++++++++++++

Barbara wrote:

> Maybe there's something to be said for those "unsophistocated" third world
> countries where it's normal for family members to remain "camped out" by
the
> bedside of a hospitalized loved one, performing not only as kind of
"relief
> nursing staff," but also preparing meals, feeding, and bathing, etc. the
> hospitalized family member.
>
> And I can just imagine the
> reaction of the nursing staff if assorted family members were always "on
duty"
> by the bedside of a loved one, watching, and judging the them and the
medical
> staff.

is a