Cindy Gale Olson wrote:
> He is still on the
> feeding tube and they do periodic swallowing tests on him, but he still
> has some choking.
> What are his chances of getting off the feeding tube and eating by >mouth again?

Dear Cindy,
You do not mention the placement of the tube, but if he does not now
have one, a PEG might be an excellent idea for him, regardless whether
his swallowing improves. A PEG can be covered by regular clothing, and
he can administer food whenever he wishes. Fluids are particularly
important and the PEG is great for this, too. He can eat by mouth if his
swallowing improves; but if he's not able to eat enough to maintain
weight, the PEG can supply the extra nutrients he needs for health.

Often, people think of a PEG as a fearful experience, but in fact, it
can be an added resource for good health. I would consider discussing
this with his physician, speech pathologist and registered dietitian.
Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,