>HI Bonnie,
>
>I have comments on the 45 yo man who has chosen not to take PD meds and
>is applying for SS disability.  It certainly is his choice as to whether
>he takes meds but the society has the right to set the qualifications
>for disability payments as for the patient to be cooperating with
>generally accepted medical treatment. This man likely could still be
>working (and much more comfortable and functional) if he was taking an
>agonist or l-dopa.  I don't think he has the right to expect society to
>support him financially if he refuses generally accepted treatment and
>then is disabled because of that refusal.
>
>Charlie
>

>Bonnie J. Rupert wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have 2 questions from Support Group members-
>>
>> There is a young gentleman in our support group who has been diagnosed
>> approx. 5 years and he is 45.  He has never taken a medication for
>> Parkinson's -- He believes in vitamins and herbal therapy. His PD is
>> interfereing in his daily life.  He has applied for SS Disability and
>> has
>> been turned down on the basis that a doctor decided he "should" be
>> taking
>> meds. Do we not have a choice how we treat Parkinsons?  He certainly
>> has
>> no medication side affects.
>>
>> Also, there is a Lady in our group who is elderly and her concern is
>> that
>> her left foot freezes - sometimes her right also. Her question is what
>> are some of the ways people handle this.  She also has trouble backing
>> up
>> and she would just like some input.
>>
>> Thankyou
>>
>> Bonnie R. 56/3
>
>--
>
>CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
>Middleton, WI
>[log in to unmask]         TO BONNIE & CHARLIE:

I find this issue envolving the forty-five year old individual very
distubing as well as perplexing. (my usually absent tremor has arrived!)  A
few of the relevant questions are as follows:
   1.  Because a person opts to treat a disease via holistic therapies including
vitamins and herbs; Does this negate ones disability?
   2.  As a requiste for a SS disability award, should individuals
diagnosed with Parkinsons be mandated by government to consume specific
drugs?  Does this same government offer to pay for the cost of these drugs
of $150-500 per month?
   3.  Must we be limited in our treatment options and/or philosophies as a
condition for receiving SS?

The irony here is quite simple.  I have had symptoms of Parkinsons for 7+
yrs and although I didn't apply for SS until approximately one year ago,
I'm currently receiving SS disability.  The only drug that I take is
dyprenyl along with my herbs and vitamins.  My physician is letting me make
the choice as to whether I want additional medication, ie; sinemet or an
agonist.  Our philosophy being that sinemet has a limited span of peak
theraputic value and then all the
"stuff" starts to happen.  After all, sinemet has always been considered by
mainstream medicine as the last line of defense.  If so, doesn't it make
sense to hold off as long as possible especially when questions remain
unanswered regarding sinemet.  For readers clarafication, I have some
serious manifestations including equilibrium, gait, bradykenesia etc.

Lets pray for a cure & each other!

Jay Henkelman 47/7