Bonnie - You wrote,

>There is a young gentleman in our support group who has been diagnosed
>approx. 5 years and he is 45.  He has never taken a medication for
>Parkinson's -- He believes in vitamins and herbal therapy. His PD is
>interfereing in his daily life.  He has applied for SS Disability and has
>been turned down on the basis that a doctor decided he "should" be taking
>meds. Do we not have a choice how we treat Parkinsons?  He certainly has
>no medication side affects.

I don't believe social security disability is intended for people who could
get better, but won't get accepted medical treatment.  It's an individual's
choice to treat ailments in any way they choose, as long as it works.  When
the result of the chosen treatments is that that individual becomes
dysfunctional when he/she could be functional, then you can see why
government agencies balk.  And quite frankly, the average taxpayer would be a
bit put out about it, too.

  Personally, while I think there's a lot of benefit to be gained from
"alternative" treatments in some cases, his choice of treatment clearly isn't
working.   I can't imagine why someone who is 45 years old would choose to
become an invalid.   Could you or other group members convince him to start
on very small doses of Sinemet or Mirapex?  If not, his situation will only
get worse, and I would expect he'll continue to be turned down for SS
disability.  Has he thought about what he'll do then?

Indeed, a difficult situation.  Margie Swindler     [log in to unmask]