#1 may be a virus (if it is a .com file), but you must run it to
activate it.
That it, download it and double click- NOT a good idea if
you don't know where it came from.

#2 is a HOAX- the "virus" is the self-perpetuating message, like
the "Good Times" virus. Please do NOT forward the "Penpal"
warning. You cannot get a virus by reading E-mail, you must
download and execute (or open) a binary file. (A Word
for Windows .doc file is a binary, and it CAN carry a
macro virus... but you have to OPEN the file.)

>JUst received this from a PC friend. Virus BEWARE!  #1 -
>ao4free.com.  Within seconds of opening it, a window appeared and
>began to display all files that were being deleted.  The user
>immediately shut down the computer, but it was too late.  This
>virus wiped all out.  It ate the Anti-Virus software that comes
>with the Win95 program along with F-Prot. Neither was able to
>detect it.  Please be careful and send this to as many people as
>possible, somaybe this new virus can be eliminated.  Don't open
>this file. Delete it immediately.

> #2 - PENPAL GREETINGS.  This
>message appears to be a friendly letter sking you if you are
>interested in a penpal but by the time you read the letter, it is
>too late.  The "trojan horse" virus will have already infected the
>boot sector of your hard drive, destroying all of the data
>present.  It is a self-replicaating virus, and once the message is
>ready, it will AUTOMATICALLY forward itself to anyone whose e-mail
>address is present in YOUR mailbox!  This virus will DESTROY your
>hard drive and holds the potential to DESTROY the hard drive of
>anyone whose mail is in your IN BOX and whose mail is in their
>inbox and so on.  If this virus keeps getting passed, it has the
>potential to do a great deal of damage to computer networks
>worldwide!!! Please, delete the messagae entitled "PENPAL
>GREETINGS!" AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT!  Pass this message along to all
>of your friends and other readers so the newsgroups and mailing
>lists which you are on are not hurt by this dangerous virus!!!!!
>Please pass this along to everyone you know so this can be
>stopped.  Apparently one should not open any e-mail that they're
>not sure who's sending it? Beware, everyone.  [log in to unmask]    (I
>am a MAC user and I do not know if this is only for PC users)

                                                    -Bill