Bonnie,
        I don't know about the foot freezing up, but I do know about the backing up
problem! She should get to a physical therapist who can teach her how to
pivot around forward, rather than back up. Dad has had this problem for quite
some time now. He backs up and eventually he gets going so fast that his
heels literally go out from under him. However, if he runs into something, or
if someone puts a hand on his back, he stops. He generally remembers to pivot
forward, but he still has problems when it comes to doors that open toward
him. I think it might help a little if your friend can hold onto the door
while it's coming toward her. Also, if there's something she can lean on (a
wall next to the door) while she's opening the door, that might help. Good
luck! Trish