janet paterson wrote:

> hi trish
>
> >If you ever hear if there is a relationship between
> >cerebral palsy and PD or Alzheimer's, please post it!
> >Anything having to do with the brain is interesting to
> >me (that's the teacher part of me!)
>
> i had a quick look through my own 'archives' and didn't find anything,
> although i noticed an article listed in john cottingham's archive subject
> list. maybe he could help?
>
> i'll certainly keep your request in mind; i tend to post anything at all
> that i can find with mention of the human brain in it, so if it's out
> there, and i am too <G>, it's bound to get posted!
>
> your syber-sis
>
> janet

Dear Janet: The only relationship so far that I know of is the
similarity of treatments for PD and AD(Alzheimers).  That is, PD
responds to increasing Dopamine function and AD responds to increasing
Acetylcholine function. These two neurotransmitters are in balance with
each other and in fact this relative imbalance is responsible for PD
symptoms. If this is also true of AD there may be a connection. Some
investigators theorize that the same pathological mechinism may be
responsible, but effecting different transmitters. This is only
theory-not fact.
                                        Jerry Starr , RPh.