Brian Collins wrote:

> On the subject of taking the drugs prescribed by your doctor, I
> believe strongly that the ultimate decision about whether to take the
> drug rests with me. The doctor, when he writes the prescription, is
> saying 'If you want to treat this symptom, I recommend that you take
> this drug in this quantity.' I usually treat this as a challenge, and
> try to make do with less, but that's just my suspicious nature.
>
> I regard Eldepryl rather differently, and must disagree with Jerry
> Starr. As a long term Parkie, I saw Eldepryl come in on a wave of
> enthusiasm when the designer drug MPTP was discovered. (If you were
> exposed to MPTP while taking Eldepryl, you should survive intact),but
> no-one really believes such an exposure to be common or even likely.
>   The response ofthe  Pro-Eldepryl camp was a new argument:  that it
> prolonged the effective life of Dopamine. I haven't heard of anyone
> actually backing off their Sinemet when taking eldepryl.
>
> In the against column, you have the not-yet disproven concern about
> Eldepryl and Levadopa, and the possibility of a higher mortality rate.
> and the lurid dreams and sleeplessness, which I believe to be caused
> by the production of Amphetamine as the Eldepryl breaks doown.  This
> is where I draw the line: My attitude is" They can mess about with my
> brain, but my mind is my own, and hands off!" The difference may be
> trivial to some, but although I have not always been able to stick to
> it, I continue to do as much as I can to preserve the essential 'Me',
> and running around pepped-up on Speed is not part of me. (Oh alright,
> maybe I exaggerated the speed effect, but there is some element in
> it.)
> Regards,
>
> --
> Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>

Brian & Marling:  You are quite right Brian in stating that Eldepryl
breaks down to an Amphetamine, but the Amphetamine content is quite
small when compared to the usual dose of "speed". Most people will not
feel the lift unless very sensitive.  You are right also in saying the
early use of Eldepryl is contraversial, but there is a mounting body of
evidence to support the early use.(especially the DATATOP study). The
bottom line, however, is that what works for one person may not work for
somebody else. You have to do what works for you, and what you feel
comfortable with.                                Jerry Starr
PS:  It is my understanding that there will be several studies published
shortly that will cast doubt on the validity of the increased mortality
study of using Eldepryl & L-Dopa together.