On 08/07/97 Joan Holliday asked:

>Has anyone had any experience with the drug Fosamax?

My husband, who has osteoporosis as well as PD, has been taking Fosamax for
about a year. There have been no conflicts with his PD medications. These
include Sinemet, Sinemet CR, Permax and Eldepryl. Before he started Fosamax
he was taking Didronyl(etidronate)for osteoporosis. He is much happier with
Fosamax. The Didronyl required a complicated cyclic regimen alternating with
calcium pills.

The only problem he has with Fosamax is fitting it into the day's medication
and meal schedules. Fosamax is most effective if it is taken a couple of
hours before a meal, but at least 30 minutes must elapse before eating.
Also, one must remain upright for a half hour after taking it with plenty of
water. The reason for this is its potential for irritating the esophageous,
and to assure its delivery into the stomach. It should not be taken with
orange juice, coffee, or milk, which reduce its availability.

My husband takes it when he first gets up in the morning, whatever time that
is. By the time he has gotten dressed, at the best speed bradykinesia
allows, a half hour has usually gone by and he then takes his morning
sinemet and permax. A half hour after that he is ready for his breakfast.
This allows an hour to pass before food is taken in. He is able to move,
although very slowly, on getting up because he has taken a Sinemet CR
sometime arount 3:30AM. It may be possible to take Sinemet along with
Fosamax. We haven't checked on that. He also has 3 8-oz. glasses of milk a
day, plus other sources of calcium and phosphorous, to provide the minerals
needed for the Fosamax to work with.

Fosamax (alendronate) works by inhibiting bone resorption without inhibiting
new bone deposit.

Neal fell out of bed in his sleep the other night and bruised his ribs. The
doc said he may have cracked a rib, but there was no break. So it seems to
be working.

Martha Rohrer (CG for Neal. 77/12)