The way we learn -- and keep from forgetting

Copyright 1997 Nando.net                Copyright 1997 The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (August 7, 1997 6:58 p.m. EDT) -- After learning a new physical
skill, such as riding a bike, it takes six hours to permanently store the
memory in the brain. But interrupt the storage process by learning another
new skill and that first lesson may be erased, according to research into
memory and the mind.

"We've shown that time itself is a very powerful component of learning,"
said Henry H. Holcomb, a psychiatrist who heads a Johns Hopkins University
group that studies how people remember. "It is not enough to simply
practice something. You have to allow time to pass for the brain to encode
the new skill."

The researchers used a device that measures blood flow in the brain. They
concluded it takes five to six hours for the memory of a new skill to move
from a temporary storage site in the front of the brain to a permanent
storage site at the back.

During those six hours, said Holcomb, there is a neural "window of
vulnerability" when that new skill can be easily eroded from memory if the
person attempts to learn a second new skill.

"If you were performing a piano piece for the first time and then
immediately started practicing something else, then that will cause
problems in retention of the initial piece that you practiced," said Holcomb.

It would be better, he said, if the first practice session were followed by
five to six hours of routine activity that required no new learning.

A report on the study is to be published Friday in the journal "Science."

"This is a new and important insight into the relationship between motor
skill learning and neural activity," said Carolyn B. Cave, a psychologist
and learning researcher at Vanderbilt University.

She cautioned, however, that not enough is known to identify precisely how
the successive learning of different skills could interfere with each other.

"The brain is incredibly flexible," said Cave. "It may not be, for
instance, that practicing the piano would interfere with what you learned
just before from a tennis lesson. The two skills could use different parts
of the brain."

In the Hopkins study, the researchers used a positron emission tomography
device, or PET, to measure blood flow in the brain of test subjects while
they learned a motor skill.

The people were placed in the PET and then taught to manipulate an object
on a computer screen by using a motorized robot arm. The test required
unusually precise and rapid hand movements that could be learned only
through practice.

During this learning process, the PET image showed that blood flow was most
active in the prefrontal cerebral cortex of the brain.

After the learning session, the test subjects were allowed to do unrelated
routine things for five to six hours and were then retested.

When operating the robot arm this time, the blood flow was most active in
the posterior parietal and cerebella areas, said Holcomb.

"This shift in the brain is necessary to render the memory invulnerable and
permanent," he said. "What we see is the consolidation of the memory."

It is such a consolidation, said Holcomb, that allows a person to never
forget some skills, such as riding a bike or swimming, that were learned as
a child.

Some of the Hopkins test subjects were trained in a new motor task
immediately after learning the first skill. Later, those subjects were
tested on how much of the first lesson they remembered -- and had lost much
of the skill they had learned first.

"If we teach one task and then immediately introduce a new task, we know
that will largely erase any learning gained from the first task," said
Holcomb. "But if we wait five to six hours and then give them a new task,
then we don't erase what was learned in the first lesson."

By PAUL RECER, AP Science Writer
<http://www.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/health/080797/health17_7987.html>