Dear Charles and the firing squad,

At the risk of extending this debate beyond its sustainable life (please
just tell me to shut up if the consensus is this topic is dead - its
drifted from PD  a bit), I will give a little salvo in reply. (It will
be short because I'm off to a little coral island in the Java sea this
weekend with my notebook pc to concoct a real reply for Monday - thats
if I don't drink too much G & T and you guys don't tell me to shut up).

I'm a Brit and you can rightly say what have I to do with the USA. I'm
not so far removed, my wife is American and our 4 month old daughter
also has American citizenship. My politics often exasperate my in -
laws.

Charles, I'm definitely on thin ice with the medical statistics, but I
do understand that PD is not in itself a killer. I just followed the
logic of denying this man his social security benefit for not
conforming  to an (in my eyes) authoritarian norm; all other treatment
would be denied and therefore the secondary diseases (pnuemonia has been
mentioned) would be the killer and shorten life expectancy. This
presupposes the argument he wouldn't have the pnuemonia if he took his
sinemet and therefore shouldn't have the antibiotics because its his own
fault. (if medically speaking this is not true, forgive me, its an
example of where I could see the wedge leading)

Is the SSI an insurance programme? It strikes me that it is, at least in
part, and in essence if not by strict definition. In the UK the DSS
(Department of Social Security) administers the payment made by UK
employees called National Insurance (at least it used to be like that,
I've not really lived there for a long time).

Although you may call it a tax, it operates in some ways like health
insurance, in that a group of people pay sums of money into a fund from
which they may draw more or less than their contributions. In other
words it is a fund for social purposes, an insurance for a pension,
medicare or whatever other group coverage is included.

I must close now as its heading for midnight. There are many other
things I would like to say concerning the remaining comments you made
and to the other individuals who have come back on this question. I'll
try and compose replies over the weekend. If the debate stops, I'll send
replies to individuals, if anyone wants to hear all, I can copy them.

Yours in anticipation (of further discourse)

David

PS Charlie, I just got to the end of your letter. How dare you have
common ground (but thanks). Have you ever seen the Monty Python sketch
about arguing?     :0)