<Bass HREF="file:///C|/JANET/05DOPA.HTM">

Running and Brain Dopamine Levels</B></H3>

<P>

 The cardiovascular benefits of exercise have been well established

and promoted in the general population. A new study in the <I>

<B>Journal of Applied Physiology</B></I> reported what may be

evidence that exercise provides a benefit to cognitive function

as well.  The authors found that daily spontaneous running significantly

modulated the nigrostriatal dopaminergic system of rats, an area

in the brain associated with the pathology of Parkinson's disease.

 The daily running rats had significantly enhanced sensorimotor

and cognitive related behavioral responses over sedentary rats.

Dopamine release rates were lower in the running rats, while potassium-stimulated

release rates were similar to those of the sedentary rats.[1]

<P>

1. Dluzen DE, Binjun L, Chen CY, DiCarlo SE. Daily spontaneous

running alters behavioral and neurochemical indexes of nigrostriatal

function. <I><B>J Appl Physiol</B></I> 1995;78(4):1219-24].

<hr>

</BODY>

</HTML>