Janet P...

My dear Cyber-Sis <smile>... I have lived in California since birth and have
watched my sister - who's married to a Canadian and has lived in Edmonton,
Alberta, for the past 30 years, slowly lose all respect for the Canadian
medical system which she deals so intimately with since she not only suffers
from the worst case of rheumatoid arthritis I've ever seen outside of our
grandma's RA, but also from fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (and I
better not hear any jokes about CFS being the ''Yuppie flu," cause that's one
really crummy disease!).

Edmonton's down to two or three hospitals now, after several have closed.   In
addition, many of the best physicians have left or are planning on leaving
Alberta AND often Canada itself (for the States) in order to earn
significantly higher incomes.   There are very long waits for voluntary
surgery, and emergency rooms are always very crowded with endless waits to get
any medical attention.

I had an assistant while working on MSN who lives in Quebec and he has
ankalosing spondulitis (spinal arthritis) and RA, and his experiences with the
Quebec medical system parallels my sister's with the Alberta system,

Things medical are NOT what they used to be in Canada, I'm afraid!   And tho
things aren't all that terrific here in the USA right now with the medical
system, I still believe we have it better here than the Canadians do.

Barb Mallut