From:    Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Caring Hands Award

>How about Camilla Flintermann???

I endorse this. Absolutely. And hope things are getting better
for her and Peter.

From:    Dennis Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Family nursing in the 3rd world/shame in the 1st

>2 weeks ago I saw, on Australia's excellent SBS channel, a
documentry on the Central Hospital, which is in Conakry, the
capital city of the west african nation of Guinea.  The hospital
was described as being the main medical centre of both the city
and the nation.  Poverty (an average annual income of US$510)
has resulted in a horrifying situation.  Families provide not only the
nursing service but also have to provide the drugs, in the sense
that once the doctors have written the procription, it must be collect
and paid for from the hospital pharmacy by family members who then
hand it over to the medically trained staff to administer.  NO FAMILY
MEMBER TO COLLECT AND PAY FOR THE DRUGS - NO DRUGS
ARE GIVEN.  NO MONEY TO PAY FOR THE DRUGS - NO DRUGS
ARE GIVEN.  If, as apparently often happens, the hospital pharmacy is

>I was left with a profound sense of shame.  I live in a country with one
of the finest medical services in the world.  We have an oversupply of
doctors,  free hospitalisation in world class hospitals equiped with every-
thing money can buy and staffed by highly trained professionals.  Yet
we want more.  We complain if we have to wait 30 mins past our
appointment time,  we object at length if we have to wait for surgery,
we protest at delays in getting the latest 'wonder drug'.

Dennis, it isn't so very different here in India, where the only
support systems are those that family and friends can provide
(and with our aping the west, those are also breaking down). Let
me tell you another depressing story I heard just 2 days ago.

A neurosurgeon at one of our local "government" (free, but
overcrowded, dirty and lacking in basic facilities, as opposed to
"private", exorbitantly expensive, hospitals) had spent some time
at (I think) the Karolinska Institute, where he was exposed to
the surgical procedures for Parkinsons. He described it thus:
It's a beautiful procedure; the patient is fully conscious, by
the end of the operation, the tremors stop, and he can drink a
glass of water on his own, and walk out of the room. He wanted to
get the equipment here, sanctions were duly obtained. Then the
local rep of a rival manufacturer wrote an anonymous letter,
asking why the Swedish equipment was being preferred to the
German or American, the inquiry went into a spin, the project was
dumped. It makes me want to weep, when I think of the suffering
that could have been prevented. The doctor's demoralized, and
wondering if he's a fool, not moving to a private hospital, where
he'll get the equipment he wants, but only a very tiny percentage
of people will be able to afford the expense.

Does anyone on the list have any idea about whether
organizational funding exists to help developing countries obtain
such equipment?

Regards,

Sarita Agarwal