Dear Friends--This is the 2nd day that Peter has been walking, since the
traumatic episode on 8/5.  It's great to see him "vertical" instead
of "horizontal"!  ;-) (especially as hethought he'd never walk again!)

The appetite he lost with Aricept is gradually being coaxed back, and he's
eating a bit more.
In this regard, I must confess to Kathrynne Holden, our faithful RD,
that I broke a lot of rules in getting him to eat--he had Ensure, despite the
protein, at any time he'd swallow it--but I did try to supply some fruit
with it for balance...we'e talking spoonfulls here, not cups!  I gave him
several small "meals" whenever he was willing to take even a few mouthfuls, and
didn't worry about "balance" as much as usual, just working to get calories in
that  skinny guy--down to about 120 lbs.  The intake of nourishment has helped
strengthen him to where he can be mobile again, I'm sure--the problem was
to break through the vicious cycle of "no appetite--nothing tastes good--
why eat anyway, I'm not going to get better--I'm weaker" etc.  The support of
the Home Care nurses and aides has been wonderful. Today he's to be
evaluated by Occupational and Physical therapists, which should help. I
rejoice that our Medicare premiums are providing this reward now!

One more thought re:food. The "Unifiber" Kathrynne suggested is still a big
help. I mix it into mayo on a sandwich, or yogurt, and have discovered
that I can add it to Ensure (regular) rather than paying extra for "Ensure
with Fiber". It doesn't changethe taste, and I follow the proportion on the
"with Fiber" can as a guide.  Our pharmacist special orders it for me, and
if anyone is interested, I can supply the info about it.

I'll be picking up on the things I've done to lighten Barb Patterson's load
(giving info re:list) and adding folks to the CARE list,which Jeff Jones has
done for me since our crisis.  Thanks to Barb and Jeff for taking over.

(P.S.--has anyone bought an "Ali Knockout Collection"necktie yet ?? )

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"