Hi Phil,

It would be helpful to know more about your dad his age, duration  of
his PD, other medical conditions, and current treatment including
whether his current neurologist specializes in movement disorders like
PD and if he is having side effects to his current meds.

There is a lot that can be done with medications before going the route
of surgery and that those possibilities should be exhausted  first. In
addition to the drugs on the market until recently pramipexole
(Mirapex) has been added which offers some added advantages over
previously marketed drugs.  There are at least 3 others in the
"pipeline" awaiting FDA approval.

Regarding surgical procedures the most common is palidotomy which
destroys an inhibitory center in the brain.  Thalmotomy is also used and
deep brain stimulation has just been approved by the FDA implanting a
pacemaker-like device which essentially "turns off tremor when the
stimulator is working.  Fetal Cell transplants are undergoing
double-blind evaluation at several locations but are far from
common-place.  Also pig cell implants are being done in Boston and are
currently very experimental.  Also neural growth factors both as oral (I
believe) and by infusion directly into the brain are also in the
experimental stages.

If you let us know the answers to my questions I think we might be able
to give you some direction to proceed.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.