Don,
keeping my mind busy would be IMPOSSIBLE when this drowsiness stage hits.  I
have fallen asleep at the computer, at the sewing machine, I sleep in chairs
in the mall, on street benches, behind the wheel of a car, in mid sentence at
the table, etc.  I fall asleep working a crossword puzzle.  For me, the only
way I can remain awake is to be on my feet.  I am asleep before I know I have
hit the drowsy stage..........this is NOT the same thing as dozing off while
watching television........it is a different mechanical/chemical/whatever
response than just simply dozing off.  If I am awakened prior to this stage
completely passing, I am groggy, slightly disoriented.........akin to be
awakened from a sound sleep at 1 am in a strange hotel room (only to find
that someone was calling the wrong number!).