Hi everyone-

I have been taking my Pramipexole for several weeks now and I wanted to
give everyone an update.  I started in the hospital substituting 3.5 mg
of Mirapex (pramipexole) for 35 mg of bromocriptine.  When I started I
was almost totally unable to walk (as my PD progression combined with
the residual of my childhood polio to give me a double whammy and
knocked me clear into a wheelchair.

By the time I started physical therapy I was up to 4 mg and was getting
around to a slight degree with a walker. Because of cramping in my back
at night I went up to 1.5 mg 3 x per day + 0.5 mg at bedtime.  My
ambulation improved but I also became severely dyskinetic and my
Sinemet was reduced.  I had several bad days as I transitioned home.  I
was unable to walk again and cramping increased.  Finally with
appropriate cautions Dr. Goetz increased my Mirapex to 6 mg/day (FDA
suggested maximum is 4.5 mg/day).  That was the push I needed.  My
walking with the walker improved considerably,  and I am doing some
walking on  my own.  It is clear that I am getting a positive response
at this time and while I have had some periods of severe dyskinesia I am
convinced these can be controlled with some minor sinemet adjustments.

Charlie
--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI