        I strongly support the position that Charlie Meyer states -
questioning a person being able to get SSI disability if they are not
willing to follow the accepted medical regimen to improve their ability to
function.  It was stated that they should have 'freedom of choice'.  That is
an honorable and totally acceptable position if they would remain
financially responsible for themselves, but this young man wants his cake
and also to eat it. By wanting freedom of choice in how to treat his PD, but
also wanting the government to support him, he has put the burden on society
and abdicated self-responsibility. Our 'government' and SSI in particular,
are in financial trouble.  There are many people who abuse our system, and
SSI disability is one of the areas that incurs abuse.  It is set up for
those who have NO other options, and at this point, he has other options
(and hopefully many more of them in the future).

Susan Hamburger

ps   Charlie, I was born and raised in Milwaukee and spent much time in
Madison even though I attended UWM for undergraduate and graduate school.
It's a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the
best, you very often get it.
                     W. Somerset Maughm