Charlie,

You asked me the other day to provide some more details about my father's PD.

He is almost 74 and has probably had PD for about 12 years, although he has
only been receiving treatment for about 7 years. His primary problems include
drooling, especially at night, nonstop nasal drainage, balance when walking
(he takes some hard falls occasionally), and shortness of breath (which used
to occur mostly in the evening but now occurs mostly in the morning and
anytime he has to exert himself. He has recently started having cramps and
muscle spasms. He experiences periodic confusion. He has recently had the
sensation that people, usually one of my brothers or me, are in the room with
him or standing next to him. He is experiencing fairly severe weakness in his
voice; this occurs both when he is speaking and trying to sing in church. He
does not have tremors in his hands, although when he stands still I have
noticed that he seems to sway, almost as if he were being tossed about in a
breeze.

His non-PD conditions include macular degeneration, cataracts, double vision
due to a muscular weakness, and glaucoma.

His medications include Sinemet once every three hours (Carbidopa 200,
Levodopa 25/250), Permax 0.25 mg twice a day, and Eldepryl 5 mg. capsules
twice a day. He takes various other vitamin and mineral supplements,
including Calcium, Vitamin E, Vitamin B, and Chromium Picolinate.

I am very interested in anything that would improve this kind and proud man's
way of life, whether it be drugs, surgery, or some kind of implant. Any
information or insights that you or other members might have will be very
much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Phil
(Philip Donley, Ph.D., Au stin, Texas,