David....

As you know from my List-posts and from our email exchange, I have had the
collagen injections performed by Dr. Gerald Berke at UCLA's Neck & Throat
Clinic (phone # (310) 206-6688).

Currently I've started taking steps to get Kaiser Permanente's Woodland Hills
facility (in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley) to do this procedure.  I've already
seen my internist there who referred me to a neurologist, who in turn referred
me to an E.N.T. there.  I see the E.N.T. this Friday.

That said, I strongly urge you to go above this head of the MD you saw at your
local Kaiser.  I suggest you call Dr. Berke's office at UCLA, tell them that
Kaiser claims their procedure to be "experimental" and ask them to mail you
back confirmation that this is NOT an experimental procedure, and that it's SO
mainstream that it's EVEN covered by Medicare!

Take THAT to Kaiser.... and also maybe to the local press and TV? (I'm a great
believer of utilizing the press/media for human interest issues!)  Keep in
mind that Kaiser is extremely sensitive to their public image - more so than
any other HMO I've come across.  They bend over backwards to present
themselves as a patient-sensitive and caring entity.   Take advantage of
that!!

As I said, I've got that appointment on Friday at Kaiser and have my
"turned-down-by-Kaiser-contingency-plan" ready to go (and heck... I haven't
even BEEN turned down by 'em yet!" ) <grin>

BTW... I went thru Kaiser's Speech Therapy program and it's for MUSCLE and
BREATHING control.  It cannot help you at ALL if your vocal cords are
slackened because of the PD.  The only way to "fix" slack vocal cords are to
UN-slack them, and the only way that's being done today IS be collagen
injections.

"Experimental?" Excuse me, but collagen injections have been used in
geriatrics to strengthen the voices of the elderly for several years (same
exact procedure).  It's also been used in cosmetic surgery for years.  It's
been a mainstay in restorative surgery to accident victims as well.
EXPERIMENTAL??  Not hardly!!  So don't you let Kaiser get away with telling ya
THAT!

Finally - if I'm OK'd for the injections at Kaiser, I'll let ya know because
then you'll be able to point out it's being done at a Kaiser facility.  But if
I'm NOT given the go-ahead on it (and it's likely they'll turn me down, since
they don't seen to understand that their Speech Therapy is totally ineffectual
for vocal cord strengthening), then I think you and I AND any other of our
List-family belonging to any Kaiser facility should band together and ALL
write Kaiser as a UNIT asking that this procedure be made available to us.

One other thing, David... I think you should contact every university hospital
in your area (if ya live in an area that supports one or more university
hospitals and get ahold of THEIR neck and throat clinics and/or ENT
departments to see if THEY perform the collagen injections.  If any of them DO
you then have additional weapons for fire at Kaiser!!  Ya can then remind
Kaiser that this is SUCH a common, every-day procedure that it's done locally
at respected medical centers.

DON'T GIVE UP, DAVID!!!  Ohhhhh.... HEY.. I just thought of something!  Kaiser
runs several Web sites including a couple of ones for Kaiser northern and
Southern California.  You might also logon to them and post a PUBLIC question
asking why you cannot get a simple procedure done at Kaiser that is OK'd by
Medicare, fer goodness sake, to restore your voice!

Barb Mallut