1. I learned about the list from a support group member who was a subscriber.
(Mary Manfredi)

2. I think I joined the list in October 1996

3. I joined the list at that time because I was beginning my search for
knowledge about the disease on the internet.

4. I stay on the list to stay current with any new developments in our realm
of interest.

5&6. This list is the best source of information on PD located at a single
web spot.  It has been an outlet to occupy my time constructively after I
retired at age 56 because of the disease. I found a use  for my energies and
spare time through the list. I eventually settled in to two areas of
interest:

a. I became a political lobbyist thru connections and the use of this list. I
have about 40 good friends that I have met in my three trips to Washington to
lobby for passage of the Udall Bill. The majority of these activists are on
the list and you can see their posts.  We correspond to a significant extent
off the list once the connection has been made thru the list.

b. I enjoy locating near by support groups that are not connected to the main
stream of PD news. I contact the support group leaders and feed them copies
of news articles that are copied from the listserv. To keep them up to date.

7 thru 10.  In summary the best feature of the list is that it lets me
maintain a sense of community  with a large group of PWP. I feel I am part of
the group as we share experiences and thus not alone in this battle to
survive.  When I was in business I looked forward to the mail delivery to see
what the new day would bring to my attention.  I now look forward to my email
in the same capacity to see what is new as I start the day.

I am very grateful to all who organize and help maintain this listserv for
the benefit of the Parkinson Community. But for the fact that my doctors can
order medicines for me this would be the most important resource in my battle
with PD.

As a final note I have to say that the longer I am on the list the more I
notice the absence of posts from those voices which were most active at the
time I joined.
I know that PD is catching up to them and diminishing their abilities. I am
basically a happy and optimistic person without having suffered any
chemically  induced depression. However when I recall some of the lost voices
the tears well in my eyes.

Damn the Disease.     FUND THE RESEARCH. FUND THE CURE.
Fund the Research. Find the Cure

Gratefully submitted by
Dale Severance
Syracuse, NY