Hi Kids, since I saw a couple of comments on Tony Schoonenberg's
posted website, I guess I'll add mine: The site content is very
professional, slick, and as someone else said, an ad for Dr Iacono.
Nothing wrong about that, and if you dig, there is lots of useful
info there, particularly the "links" to several other websites
dealing with PD, which I checked out briefly. Tony's site even has
several videos, mostly before-and-after clips of Dr. Don Berns, a
La Canada, CA preacher who was one of Iacono's first customers and
most devoted fan; but they take a long time to download and you
need also to download the necessary program QuickTime, so I didn't
bother to actually view them. Schoonenberg also is a grateful
Iacono pallidotomy recipient and serves as a full-time PR rep at
Loma Linda Med Ctr, where I understand Iacono left recently to open
a private practice, but still operates there.

Mainly, however, my comment is not about Dr. Iacono or Loma Linda,
but about the WWW (WorldWide Web) as a source of information. PD
is a permanent chronic disorder, so patients and caregivers need
information that is above all durable and reliable. It's perfectly
OK to browse sources such as magazines, TV, or internet sites run
by amateurs who have "anecdotal" reports to offer, for casual fun
or learning, but don't rely on that where somebody's health is at
risk. The hundreds of scientific medical journals archived by U.S.
library sites such as Medline are at the other end of the scale:
They aren't quick with the latest news, and they do contain errors,
but are responsible. Self-regulated and highly competitive, the
successful ones have very high standards of editorial and peer
review to decide what gets into print. Such information, whether
direct or quoted in the news media, is generally dependable.

Personally, I still prefer to get my info from paper and ink when
possible. I'm not a very disciplined reader and like to flip back
and forth between several pages, something hard to do on a screen
where you can only see one at a time. As a neophyte on the www, I
find also that looking up a particular item takes about ten times
longer there, if I can find it, than leafing through a printed
journal. At 75 with PD and living alone, my most valuable commodity
is TIME. Just keeping up with e-mail on the Parkinsn List takes
long enough (maybe an hour a day), and to slip into the seductive
quicksand of the www would be disastrous. Add that many listmembers
either don't have www access (like me until recently) or can't
spare the time (like me), and I think e-mail is here to stay.
Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694