Joe and Charlie,

Your comments on the accuracy and reliability of web sourced
information are well made.  Information sourced from other media
is subject to the same cautions, but I admit it is easier to determine
the status of a book or magazine/journal. I have strong reservations
about anything I read in the press.  Through the years there have
been 4 or 5 occassions when events of which I have detailed first
hand knowledge have featured in the news. On each occasion the
facts have been wrongly reported.  On one occasion (admittedly a
'human interest' story) the only points where the story and the facts
touched were the name of the venue, the time of the event and the
accompanying photograph.  The rest of the story was pure fiction. I
wish it had been true, it was a damn sight more interesting than what
actually happened.

It has long been my practice on encountering a new reference source
(eg an encyclopedia, on-line or otherwise) to assess its reliability by
looking up something I already know about.  It is frightning how few pass
even so simple a test.

If life is indeed a journey, than every few hundred metres we need to
put up a "Proceed with Caution" sign.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/