Brian and Marling,

I was having problems with dystonia at the time prior to the first visit with my new neuro. I was taking Sinemet CR 25/100 four times a day. As I titrated up over a 2 week period from 0.05 mg of Permax to 0.75, the dystonia disappeared. After my mini-drug vacation experiment I tried
two Sinemet and 0.50 mg Permax per day. After about three days I began having problems with slowness of movement. I was also having probelms with cramping in my shoulder. My TENS unit helped me out here even though my Mickey Mouse health care plan refuses to pay for it.

I'm now back to my previous dose of four Sinemet 25/100 but 0.50 mg of Permax. The dinner time dose of Permax seemed to be getting me wired. I've tried skipping the afternoon dose of Sinemet and taking the dinner time dose of Permax, but this doesn't seem to work as well for me.

On my first visit with my neuro she seemed to indicate she would be reducing my Sinemet, but on the second visit she said she would leave it up to me. She said if I wanted to cut back, I should eliminate the bedtime dose rather than space the daytime doses further apart.

However, I'm not convinced that the Sinemet at night doesn't actually help me sleep. In yet another uncontrolled experiment (I don't think there is such a thing as a controlled experiment with PD), I eliminated my bedtime dose and began waking up at 4 a.m. and my sleep did not seem as restful.

Now does this have anything to with REM sleep, my imagination, the dog pitter pattering across the hardwood floors, sunspot activity interfering with brain signals, the ghost that wakes my children up at night, sleep apnea (my wife claims I can snore like a freight train) or I simply have to go to the bathroom?

The problem seems to be there are too many variables and too many unknowns to solve the equations. I'm going on holiday next week and hope to take some time to ponder these equations.

Phil G. 47/1+  [log in to unmask]

P.S.

Barb Mallut,

I guess PD gives new meaning to the phrase "sleeping together". I'm glad to see your date realizes to paraphase Marling and quote the King there will eventually be "Ah whole lot ah shakin go'in on".