I am retired due to my disability - Parkinsons disease.  I was diagnosed
about 10 1/2 yrs  ago.  I am currently taking Sinement 25-100 mg, Sinemet
CR 50-200mg, Eldepryl, and Mirapex.  Generally, my medication works well
most of the time (approx.75-80%), but I do experience apprx  4-5 "off"
periods during which I am rendered nearly immobile.  These periods are
associated with digestion of food and the wearing off my medication.  I
began taking the Mirapex, in place of Permax, about 41/2  weeks  ago.  I
have been on the  dosage that my Neurologit feels will be the
best for me.(I am under the care of Dr.s Koller,  Pahwa, and Miyawaki at
the Universtiy of Kansas Medical Center].  I have also had two
electrical stimulators impanted in my brain (in the Goblus Paldias (sp?)
region.  I was th first person in the US to under go this procedure.
(surgery was done in Oct '95).

I have had mix results with the Mirapex. I seem to be moving better in my
"on" periods and my"off" periods a not lasting as  long.  But I have had
real severe problems while sleeping.  I have experienced the inability to
get     to sleep, severe distonai in my left leg, vivid dreaming; and
axniety attacks.  I have begun to lower  the amounts of the other
parkinson drugs I am taking,  That seems to be helping , although my
problems still exist, they are becoming more manageable..

I spend my time painting, writing poetry and generally creating.  I have
enclosed is a poem I  wrote regarding my relationship to my parkinsons.

PARKINSON'S

Sir Robert Louis Stevenson what you knew as fiction
I know now as fact.
My world is out of balance for want of a messenger.
My consciousness governed by the sine's un-ending
rhythm,
in and out does my character phase,
Jekyll to Hyde to Jekyll to Hyde.

I am a prisoner in a machine
who's circuits have run amuck.
A living paradox -
unable to move, yet never at rest.

All would have been lost save for the mirror of friends.
In its compassionate surface reflected a truth,
the truth that now steels my resolve
not to surrender this day to my misfortune uncontested.
And that truth is ---
though my flesh be imprisoned,
my soul remains unfettered.

Be the glass half empty or full?
I choose to ignore the question.
Choosing instead to consume its contents to nourish me
as I seek completion of the task that has been laid before
me.

Gary Shikles copyrighted 1995