Hi Brian,

As I understand it your argument against the use of eldepryl is:

1.      PD occures because in the first place, a single,
        catostrophic, event     reduces the number of
        dopamine producing cells.  Subsequntly natural
        attrition further reduces the remaining cells to less
        than 20% of the original number of cells. At this point
        PD  symptoms manifest themselves. (If you can have
        plethora I can have manifest).

2.      Eldepryl is used to 'protect' the cells against the
        onslaught of the once-in-a lifetime event,  which
        has already occurred prior to the onset of PD.

3.      There is no point protecting oneself against some-
        thing which has already happened. So why take
        Eldepryl.

Your reasoning is sound but I query some of your premises:

1.      You assume the 'single catastrophic event' causes
        the loss of a large number of cells at the time of the
        event. Even if the single event hypothesis proves
        true (and like yourself I am drawn to it), it is still far
        from certain whether it does its damage at the time
        or is the trigger which accelerates the normal
        process of apoptosis.  Either way the progressive
        nature of PD is the result of the continued apoptosis
        of dopamine producing cells and it is this continuing
        action that Eldepryl addresses (see next point).

2.      Your argument appears to assume that the action of
        Eldpryl is to protect the cells and prevent the first
        'one off' lose.  My understanding however is that
        Eldepryl slows the progression of the disease, reducing
        the rate of apoptosis.

Qu.     Why do I take eldpryl?

Answer: Because there is an informed body of opinion which
        believes that it significantly reduces the rate at which
        PD advances.

        Having only 10-20% of our original cell allocation when
        we are diagnosed makes it imperative to reduce the rate
        at which they are dying.  This is true if the rate is normal,
        and even more so if the rate is accelerated.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/