Amgen Acquires Rights From Guilford on Neurotrophic Agents

BALTIMORE, Md. and THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., Aug 22 (Reuters) - Guilford

Pharmaceuticals Inc., and Amgen have entered into an agreement granting
Amgen worldwide rights for Guilford's FKBP-neuroimmunophilin ligands, a
class of small molecule orally active neurotrophic agents, which are being
developed to promote nerve regeneration and repair in neurodegenerative
disorders.

Under the terms of the agreement, Amgen will receive worldwide rights to
FKBP-neuroimmunophilin compounds for all human therapeutic and diagnostic
applications. Amgen will conduct and pay for all clinical development and
manufacturing of products, and will market products worldwide.

Amgen will pay Guilford in several phases. Guilford will receive a total of
$35 million in rights payments upon closing, in the form of a $15 million
cash signing payment, $15 million for purchase of Guilford equity, plus a
$5 million purchase of 700,000 warrants exercisable at 150% of the purchase
price. Amgen will also provide $13.5 million over three years to support
research activities at Guilford on the neuroimmunophilin program. There is
also a provision for various milestone payments.

Dr. Craig R. Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer of Guilford said,
"We received a great deal of interest from many companies for our
neuroimmunophilin program. We chose Amgen because we were impressed with
their commitment to the area, and their demonstrated capability in
pre-clinical and clinical development. We appreciate being able to work
with such an outstanding partner in the development of innovative
neurological products."

Copyright 1997 Reuters Limited.
<http://www.reutershealth.com/news/docs/199708/19970822inb.html>