For Phil Gesotti.  Hello Phil, on reading your reply, a number of points
struck me which you might find to be useful:

1/ The action of Permax is very slow. According to ny neuro, and I agree
with him, Permax taken over a period tends to form a 'raised platform'
from which the levodopa then does its short time-period thing. Looking
for the effect of a single dose of Permax in the hours following the dose
is doomed to failure - it's effect is so sluggish. Over the past few
years I have gradually raised the amount of Permax to offset my steady
deterioration so that I am currently taking 2.5 mg of Permax. I have had
no side effects, and the effect seems to be linear over the range 0 to
2.5 mg.

2/ I find the suggestion of your neuro to cut back on the night time
Sinemet (as a means of reducing the intake) to be very strange, but I
guess that she was really not keen to reduce anything. I have found that
a single controlled release tablet (25/100) taken immediately before
going to sleep gives me at least 4 hours of continuous sleep. (This
corresponds to about a half to two thirds of my daytime dosage.)

3/ If you want to reduce your daily intake, then assuming that (like me)
you have arrived at a sequence of tablets where each dose takes over from
the previous one, maintaining a constant level of medication, it makes no
sense at all to make a giant hole in the schedule by deleting a tablet.
Similarly, spacing out the tablets differently will just either leave a
gap, or if you reduce the time, create a local bulge. The only thing that
makes sense to me is to shave bits off your common levadopa tablet (e.g.
a Sinemet 25/100, or in my case, a Madopar 12.5/50) so that each dose is
a bit less. I am  not aware of ever hearing a neuro talking about
breaking down the size of a tablet, but why should our symptoms neatly
match the available sizes of tablet? Does anyone else break tablets into
halves and even quarters as I do?

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>