David, you wrote:

>Greetings list, my father is 70 15 years with P.D.  We have researched the
>pallidotomy and recently heard about adevice which can be implanted into the
>brain to reduce/stop tremors.  Does anyone have info on this procedure or
web
>site addresses?  Thanks - David

The surgery which was recently approved by the FDA uses a stimulator device
attached to electrodes implanted in the thalamus (in the brain).  It's used
primarily in essential tremor, but occasionally for the tremors of PD.  Once
John Cottingham returns and we can access the archives again, you can look up
Thalamic Stimulation in the archives.

 There's a more recent surgery (still considered experimental) in which the
same device is used, but the electrodes are implanted in the globus palladus.
 This placement of the electrodes helps control tremor but also other
symptoms of PD.  To read about this, look up pallidal stimulation in the
archives.  This surgery is being done at the University of Kansas Medical
Center and perhaps now a few other places in the US.  It's also done in
Canada and France.  My husband had this surgery on both sides of the brain,
one in '95 and one in '96.

If you need more information, you can e-mail me directly.

Margie Swindler     [log in to unmask]