To Joe Bruman, Dennis Greene et al:

I'm one of the guys you're complaining about.  I have worked for
newspapers all my life, and I am one of the most cynical people my wife
has ever met, or so she says.
If there's one thing I have learned, it is that you should not believe a
politician, a lawyer, a newspaper, a television announcer, a
neurologist, a street sweeper or a dog. Or a cat (they're really
devious.)
Listen to everything and keep your "grain of salt" at the ready.
Even Oxford Dictionary disagrees with Webster's about what is true.  The
Bible and the Koran have different ideas of truth.  Is the sky  blue for
a color-blind person?  If a tree falls in the forest . . .
Truth is what you decide is truth, after distilling what others believe
or say is truth, whether it comes from a web site or a learned journal.

But don't let me make you cynical too.  Life is too short and too much
fun to let this sort of thing bother you.

(Al Richards cg Judith 56/6)