Hello everyone. The thought which generated the following message first
struck me a couple of weeks ago. Since then I've kicked it around a
little, but it still looks worth an airing to the list. If there is a
flaw in the reasoning I'm sure you will find it.

 The latest thinking on what causes PD, (and in my view the most
rational explanation - ) recognises that there are many ( 10 , maybe
20) causes which, operating quite independently can increase the stress
on the brain's Dopamine production cells. If the stress reaches an
unacceptable level, the cell just gives up, and dies in a process
known as Apoptosis or Programmed cell death. The cells in our body are
constantly dying and being replaced by this process -except for the
brain's cells; they are NOT replaced when they die.

We are all, I think, aquainted with the concept that we can suffer a
catastrophic loss of Dopamine-producing cells at any time, and be totally
unaware of it, because the brain has such a plethora (good word eh?) of
these cells.  We only develop the symptoms of PD when the cell count has
dropped to about 10% to 20% of the original number of cells. The time,
place ,and nature of this stress to the dopamine cells is thus a complete
unknown, and could have happened years ago, and only when the normal
ageing process further depletes the number of cells to less than 20%.

This means that all those who are diagnosed as having PD have less than
20% of the normal dopamine cells left, and inevitably we must assume that
another dose of whatever it was that caused each of us to drop from 100%
to less than 20% would, if it happened again, probably blow us sky-high.
And yet, we Parkies manage to carry on to a normal age these days, with
the help of the usual drugs.

It would appear that either the original cause of the stress which
destroyed our Dopamine cells has gone away with the decopmposition  of
those cells, or the same stress, resulting from who-knows-what is (like
lightning) not likely to strike the same person twice.

If you are still with me, how do you answer ths question: Why are you
taking Eldepryl ?  You have got PD, so you have less than 20%  Dopamine
cells, and it is not going to happen again, so why take Eldepryl ?

The once-in-a-lifetime event has happened, and you got the short straw,
so I see no point in trying to prevent a second event which has such a
low prbability.

Now here's the stinger: IF this case is correct, we ought to be saying to
the REST OF THE WORLD: Why are you not taking Eldepryl? because they are
the ones at risk, not us.!!!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>