Baldwin Robertson wrote:

> My question is:  How is the level of dopamine regulated?
> Does dopamine inhibit tyrosine hydroxylase  or does it inhibit the
> expression of the enzyme?  What is the specific mechanism for
> the inhibition reaction?  That is, what are the specific reactions
> that accomplish the regulation?

Not a biochemist, and I know nothing of the molecular reactions you
describe; but I suspect the regulation is done by the neurons that
express dopamine for each specific synaptic impulse. I think I read
somewhere that excessive dopamine level outside the cell not only is
the cause of dyskinesia, but also somehow triggers apoptosis; and that
is why the crude therapy of adding dopamine by eating levodopa is
viewed with concern by some. Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road