> I was wondering if anyone experiences a deep cough like my dad does
> periodically throughout the day.  We tell him he sounds like a dinosaur.
> He is on a peg tube for feeding, so he isn't choking on food. My mother
> said that during the night, last night, he coughed so much that he
vomited.
> This has never happened before.  This was followed by hiccups that lasted
> for a long time.  Any thoughts would be welcome.
> marcia  dad 80/10.

Just because your dad has a PEG tube does not mean that he can't be
aspirating.  One of two things may be happening.  Either he has gastric
reflux, which means that food is traveling up his esophagus into his
trachea, or he is over-loaded with tube feeding.  Checking the 'residual'
amount of feeding in his PEG will indicate if the latter is occurring.  If
more than 50 ccs is obtained when food is withdrawn from the tube, then a
problem exists.

Dad's doctor should be notified about his coughing spells and/or about any
excessive residual in his PEG tube.
------
Regards
Mary Ann